Marc Jacobs Leaving Louis Vuitton Soon
Trouble in the house of Louis Vuitton? It seems it may be so. Like a hot,sensual relationship where everything seems right at first & where lust can be found in every look, the marriage between Arnault’s empire and his sky-rocketing designer may be coming to a dénouement. Heresy you say? Well, let’s take a quick stroll through some facts, shall we, before one ties me to a stake and roasts me more than Whitney Houston in a candid interview.
First of all, there are some very, undeniable facts:
- Marc Jacobs is a genius that has brought wealth and notoriety for over 10+ years to a then-burgeoning Louis Vuitton. His Bleeker Street to rue St. Faubourg-Honoré touch launched a once-limited, staunchy malleterie business into the eyes of fashion critics as a high-end Prêt-à-Porter power-fashion-house which has never looked back since.
- From handbags, to clothing, to marroquineries (leather-goods for my not-so-French-savvy readers), Louis Vuitton has cornered every piece of the market, leaving nearly no Feng-shui-ed stone unturned.
- Collaborations, collaborations, collaborations. Marc Jacobs + Louis Vuitton + Artist X = success. As if his own creative genius were not enough to compliment the fashion houses’ exceptionally long tradition in fine luxury goods, MJ has sought from time to time the artiste from without. The result has always equated into instant success and the near symphonic ringing of cash registers across all of LV’s many global-reaching boutiques. From Stephen Sprouse, to Takashi Murakami, to Richard Prince, Marc Jacobs has chosen his partners in crime and has walked away with the bank vault.
So after all the exhuberance from such wonderful success, why in God’s green earth would one ever conceive the title of this article? Well, as any fashion-snob in the industry will tell you, one leaves the cocktail party on a high note. And the height of fashion for Louis Vuitton is upon us.
But of course, that statement alone is not enough to say that this is the end for MJ. No, on the contrary, there’s much more that points to the final chapter of the Louis Vuitton-Marc Jacobs success story.
- Even Marc Jacobs knows deep inside of himself that his own creative talents are being stifled by the constant requirements to meet deadlines that Bernard Arnault and the other folks above him expect him to accomplish. This just isn’t the best environment for creative liberty, rather, it’s a good place to at least refine one’s artistic talent.
- MJ is old and tired for Vuitton’s contstantly growing image. This past year’s F/W 2008 Collection looked much like something a Parson’s School freshman fashion designer could’ve put together. (Now that I think about it, MJ could fill in a spot in Lifetime’s upcoming “Project Runway: Season 6 Celebrity Designer Edition”)
- Marc Jacobs is starting a new life with a new man. After all the dramaz from his fat-years, to losing all that weight, and then falling prey to the go-go boy which we will no longer name except to say his name kinda sounds like “Jay” and last name sounds like “Stun”, MJ needs a break to make a life with his new Brazilian boy-toy lover Lorenzo. (Even a Queen like MJ needs a fairy tale moment to himself)
- MJ has already begun to show signs of friction chez Louis Vuitton (and for that matter, Bernard Arnault and his Batman-cum-Robin sidekick Yves Carcelle), after fashion reporters questioned him on Louis Vuitton’s Tokyo pop-up shop collaborative project with Comme Des Garçons’ Rei Kawakubo :
“I’ve kind of warned everybody up there that I think they’ve gotten a little too into this idea which, I mean, is great,” Jacobs said. “I’m glad that everybody gets behind it, but what they don’t realize is that I do it at a pace that maintains the brand’s integrity and seems really right, and I think that sometimes everybody loves a good idea so much that they kind of go too far and it kind of kills it.” – NYMAG
Rei Kawakubo - Comme Des Garçons for Louis Vuitton
Beyond the fact that MJ doesn’t appreciate Neuilly-resident, HEC-educated Louis Vuitton marketers telling him what should “sell”, more importantly, he didn’t like the fact that it was done without any of his creative fingerprints on the drawing board. To MJ, if he’s not involved at every step in building Louis Vuitton’s image as a respectable maison de mode then he’s simply wasting his time and talent. And that, my readers, is more valuable to MJ than all the perks Arnault could ever throw at him.
Oh, and look for Brazilian Amazonian and Carmen Miranda inspired prints this upcoming Paris Fashion Week as a sign of MJ’s soon-to-be announced departure.
Posted in handbag, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, rumors, takashi murakami
Tagged bernard arnault, collaboration, departure, designer, fired, Lorenzo, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, separation, yves carcelle
According to inside sources close to the sensationalist designer, Marc Jacobs and his boytoy Brazilian boyfriend Lorenzo Martone really did “tie the knot” in Paris a few weeks back. How shocking!
Now, just to be clear, the two are not officially married per se, given that the French government, like the U.S. of A., does not recognize gay marriages (just not yet at least).
Instead, Marc and Lorenzo got “PAX-ed”, e.g. engaged in a civil union. But here’s the real twist in the story and which is exclusive to Fashioniseme.com:
Because France does not allow non-French citizens to get PAX-ed, MJ had to call in a few favours, namely Bernard Arnault, president and owner of LVMH. But of course, Bernard can’t change the law either….well actually, he sorta can. You see, rumor has it that Bernard Arnault called in a favour from his Carla Bruni-loving buddy and French president, Nicholas Sarkozy, to override French laws and allow the PAX-ing of Marc Jacobs and Lorenzo to proceed. Suffice it to say, MJ leapt through enough red tape to make a long jump Olympian proud. With the French President backing the PAX, Marc Jacobs not only broke the status quo, but sealed his love for his LoLo.
Now this begs the question: what went so wrong with Jason Preston that led Marc Jacobs to commit to a guy he seems to have barely known longer than a NY minute? Seems Jason is all mum these days (unless of course you talk smack about him on the ‘Nets: then he’s all about calling you in the middle of the night, yelling your ear off about how he Googled his name and saw all the nastiness said about him, yadda yadda yadda…)
Listen Jason: if you’re reading this, contact me. I’d love to hear your side of the story. I’ll even have the interview room ready with a tissue box for you and have “Everytime” by Britney Spears playing in the background.
And Marc and Lorenzo: if you’re reading this from Ibiza, I am sending you many many Hollywood air kisses and wish you as much success in your new relationship as you’ve seen in your delicious wonderful designs.
Posted in boytoy, event, Jason Preston, Lorenzo Martone, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, rumors
Tagged France, gay, joy, Lorenzo, marc jacobs, married, PAX, wedding
So the rumor mill is saying that Marc Jacobs has married boy-toy Brazilian Lorenzo Martone (he’s definitely “muito quente”!) in Paris, France.
Here’s why that rumor is flat out false:
Unlike Massachusetts, California (for now), Canada, Holland and Argentina, you cannot be gay and get legally married in France.
That said, it is now said that MJ and his Latinboy-bottom (or top for that matter) are heading to Ibiza for a much needed vacay. Thenafter, MJ plans on heading to Sao Paulo, Brazil to open his first Marc Jacobs boutique in Latin America.
On the other side of the Atlantic, former rent-boy Jason Preston has been left out in cold. Currently his MySpace page says it all, with obvious inneudos to his break up from his former sugar daddy, MJ. While one might feel sympathetic with Jason, his often overly confident attitude makes one feel less impusled to take any pity on him.
MJ looks like he’s finally met a nice guy that is genuinely in to him. If that rumor is true, then this rumor-monger is definitely the first to raise a toast to MJ’s newfound love. I mean, who doesn’t love LVOE?
[Updated 7/29] Well the reports from Fashion Daily now insinuate that MJ may have gotten “Pax-ed”, or delared a civil union, which in France is only useful for tax and lodging reasons. It carries little or none of the privileges normally associated with Civil Unions or marriages. I don’t really believe the rumor at this point and will hold off judgment until we have more juicy details to tell.
$1550 on www.eluxury.com
- Quilted coated fabric with ostrich leather trim
- Golden brass hardware
- Rolled leather handles with ring attachments; 4.5″ drop
- Front zipped besom pocket with leather pull
- Rounded studs throughout
- Fine textile lining
- Protective metal feet
- 14.5″x 9″x 5″
- Made in Italy